What is self-confidence? In the simplest terms confidence can be understood as an ability or belief to believe in yourself to accomplish any task, no matter the odds, no matter the difficulty, no matter the adversity. It is the belief that you can accomplish anything that you have set your mind to. All those people who we have wondered about as to how these people have accomplished all that they have in their lives and how they continue thriving lead back to the confidence that they have built within themselves. And to simply put it, it is the confidence of self that is being referred to. It’s almost impossible to stop or get in the way of someone who is completely confident in themselves, their vision or idea. It is an essential key to success.
Have you ever walked into a room filled with people and noticed the ones that immediately took over the room, not because they were the loudest or the most charismatic but because they just oozed confidence that cannot be contained? Yes, that is the exact type of confidence that is being referred to, that uncontainable surety of oneself, which can oftentimes leave other people in the room feeling even great about themselves. This kind of feeling about yourself is the one that is possessed by most successful leaders and individuals. I guess the most alluring aspect of it all is the fact that the type of people who possess that type of energy is contagious. You know when they say like attracts like? This is exactly the same. For example, surrounding yourself with confident people will eventually lead you to start developing confident traits. Confident energy is contagious.
If you are somebody who has been struggling with building your confidence and self-esteem there’s a lot that can be learned from those who already are. I guess the ultimate goal is to build energy that truly genuine. Because in as much as that phrase “fake it ‘til you make it” can apply, if you aren’t genuinely feeling confident sooner or later the façade will fade. Therefore, it is important that you work your way towards being and projecting confidence, so that it is a trait that can’t be disassociated from you. Sure, there will be instances or circumstances that will test your levels of trust and confidence in yourself, but those form part of your journey towards becoming an ultimate confident queen.
Here are some basic ways to build your confidence:
- Surround yourself with confident people. As mentioned, this is contagious energy, and whom you surround yourself with will determine your energy. You are a product of your surrounding. If you surround yourself with negative people, you will become negative, if you surround yourself with positive and ambitious people, you become alike. So choose your crowd carefully.
- Practice a positive mindset. This is of utter importance. That voice in your head can really influence how you feel about yourself and the energy you give off to others about yourself. So pay attention to your self-talk.
- Get to know your authentic self. Once you know your truest and most authentic self there will be fewer things that can tamper with your confidence. Imagine an offence (which is true about your character) being thrown at you, about yourself, but this is something you already know about yourself. There is absolutely nothing that insult can take away from you, because you already know this about yourself. Your reaction and response will be one that is projected with confidence that the insulter may just shrewd. The room will be filled with envy.
- Show others how to treat you. People can only treat you that way in which you allow them to treat you. If you set up boundaries as to how far people can go with you, they will ultimately respect those boundaries. Basically, you will only have yourself to blame if any lines were crossed if you never created them in the first place. Otherwise, people will always attempt to cross these just to ‘see how far you can go’ unless you set the record straight. So, be vocal about what you like and about what you cannot tolerate.
- Repetition and persistence. If you want to be great at something you have to be consistent at it. Building and working on your confidence requires the same efforts towards consistency, repetition, and persistence. Remember, confidence is an ability or belief to believe in you to accomplish any task, no matter the odds, no matter the difficulty, no matter the adversity. And you will face all of these challenges in your journey, but you have to persist through it, and repeat what is working for you and be consistent at it. Then you’re destined to reach your goal towards embodying optimal confidence in yourself.
Building your confidence is an active activity, which requires for you to be conscious of many things including your own thoughts, how you talk to yourself, and how you feel about yourself. Follow these tips and you’ll soon discover a powerful, confident, and inspiring energy that already resides within you.